The mosque built during the Artukid period is regarded as the oldest mosque and symbol of Mardin. Its history dates back to 1176, with its minaret and dome which fascinates those who see it. According to the inscription found in the minaret of the Ulu Mosque, it was built by Kutbuddin Ilgazi the 2nd. The minaret of the mosque, which had 2 minarets in the first construction period, was demolished. The minaret of the mosque was built in 1888-1889.The mosque, which has yellow cut stone walls, has a rectangular structure and has 16 inscriptions belonging to Seljuk, Artuklu, Akkoyunlu and Ottoman periods as well as a small courtyard and fountain.